Thursday, March 11, 2010

Publishing InfoPath Form to SharePoint Server - URL not valid

I was trying to publish some Infopath forms this week and I got an error “ the following URL is not valid” I searched for info trying to figure out the reason for the issue and there were many different solutions to the problem. Here is a list of what I found from different sites – None worked for me:

1- http://sharepointcoding.wordpress.com/tag/infopath/
I already have a site at the root so that was not the solution for me.
2- http://littletalk.wordpress.com/2008/04/24/publishing-infopath-to-sharepoint-the-following-url-is-not-valid-error/
Same as above.
3- http://www.sharepoint-tips.com/2007/02/publishing-infopath-to-sharepoint.html

Although Ishai is suggesting that you should stop the Event Notification service on the server before you publish then re-start it again as soon as you finish publishing, I did not want to stop the service. This is because the service is running on a production server and there are other related services that require the System Event Notification service to be running.




What resolved the solution in this case is the following method:

By comparing two servers, the non-working site had this missing host header line item. The
X-Powered-By: ASP.net
was there in both site but the non-working site was missing the
MicrosoftSharePointTeamServices: 12.0.0.xxxx (depending on the service pack version)
By comparing the other sites on the non-working server I was able to get the correct value for the service pack in my case it was 12.0.0.6219.













Now the server is fixed but the client machine still needs to update a few keys in the registry so that it can find the server. To do this, regedit.exe and find the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Internet\Server Cache\
Delete entries for nonworking site (they are in this format
http://theNon-WorkingSiteName)
(You can also Version DWORD to c (12) but it is better to delete all the keys so that the next time you connect, these keys will be updated)

6 comments:

  1. Man! This rocks! I tried all other solutions and found a post about the host header but it was not complete and did not work for me. This complete solution worked like magic. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was getting same problem but thanks to Google and you. I wasted one week on this issue. Thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was getting same error but thanks to Google and you. I wasted one week on this issue. Thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had a site under the root “/” and stopping "System Event Notification" service didn't work for me. Your solution fixed it and I was able to publish after that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Publishing works great now.
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great solution. I had this error for two days and this resolved it now.

    ReplyDelete